Wednesday, May 1, 2013

3rd letter to Australia's Foreign Minister, Bob Carr


Senator, the Hon Bob Carr
Foreign Minister
R.G. Casey Building
John McEwen Crescent
Barton
ACT 0221 Australia

1st May 2013

Dear Minister

Further to my letters of 11th and 28th March – receipt of neither of which has been acknowledged by your office. I hope my letters have not simply disappeared and therefore do not, officially, exist! Other than on my blog, that is!

Through an intermediary certain unidentified Cambodian police have made it known that they wish to talk with me about my ‘version’ of the events that led to Citipointe church removing Rosa and Chita from the care of their parents, Chanti and Chhork in June 2008. I do not know the names of the police who wish to speak with me or which branch of the police force they work for. Nor have the police themselves made direct contact with me with a formal request that I speak with them. They have done so only through an intermediary.

It is difficult not to view this request by anonymous police to interview me in the context of Pastor Brian Mulheran’s thinly veiled threats to have me ‘forcibly removed’.

We sincerely do not want to  have to go down a legal pathway of seeing you forcibly removed…”

I do not take clear intent of Pastor Mulheran’s ‘sincere’ desire not to have me ‘forcibly removed’ too seriously. I suspect (though I can’t be 100% sure) that it is the bluff and bluster of a bully intent on intimidating me into stopping asking, in a public forum, (my blog) the sorts of questions that I believe it would be appropriate for Australian Embassy to ask of Australian NGOs. Questions like:

“Did Citipointe church have a legal right in 2008 to remove Rosa and Chita  from their parents, Chanti and Chhork?

Or a question or two of  Ruth Golder, whose ‘Love In Action’ orphanage, “with links to the Christian Outreach Centre in Australia, ha(s) operated illegally for years with Australian donations.”:

“Is your orphanage properly registered and are you operating it in accordance with Cambodian law?”

The Australian embassy does not ask such questions, however,  preferring to turn a blind eye to blatant human rights abuses – even when they are happening next door, as was the case with the G78 community living next door in 2009. The embassy sat on its hands, remained diplomatically silent, as red t-shirted home wreckers with sledge hammers demolished the community – protected by AK 47 wielding soldiers with plexi-glass shields.  Australia’s lack or moral courage in standing up to such thuggery was on open display.

If either of the two previous Ambassadors to Cambodia had bothered to ask Ruth Golder a few basic questions about her Love in Action ‘orphanage’ a few years ago perhaps the children in her care might have been spared the human rights abuses that she is allegedly guilty of. The same applies for Hagar – an AusAID recipient. Would it be too much for Australia’s ambassador to ask Hagar if the NGO limits visits between parents and children to two hours a year? To ask if it is true that Hagar ‘clients’ (as they are known) have no choice but to attend Citipointe church services? Do you, as Minister, think it appropriate that Australian tax-payers are funding the forced conversion of Cambodian Buddhists into Christians in the Citipointe mold? Do you believe it is appropriate that parents and child ‘clients’ have their visitation rights with each other limited to two hours per annum? I, as a tax-payer, would love to know the answer to this question, but it questions such as this that you, the Australian embassy and DFAT generally steer well clear of answering.

Given that I have broken no Cambodian laws I have to presume that Pastor Mulheran believes he has the power and influence necessary to request of the police that I be ‘forcibly removed.’ Are the anonymous police who wish to interview me in relation to Citipointe’s removal of Rosa and Chita acting on the instructions of Pastor Mulheran? I think not, but 18 years of experience has taught me that the rich and powerful can break Cambodian, Australian and international law with impunity in that country. Having me ‘forcibly removed’ would be easy for anyone with pockets deep enough to make it happen – as many a Cambodian journalist or politician or any other critic of the government can attest.

On the other hand it may be that Citipointe intends to have me ‘forcibly removed’ by suing me for defamation in Cambodia for having accused the church of having ‘stolen’ Chanti and Chhork’s daughters, Rosa and Chita, in 2008? Citipointe would not consider suing me in Australia because, in this country, a court would make a determination based on facts, on evidence and the church knows that I have a mass of evidence pointing to Citipointe having ‘stolen’ Rosa and Chita in much the same way in which Aboriginal children were ‘stolen’ from their materially poor parents in Australia last century – a now thoroughly discredited form or social engineering for which we have, as a nation, made a formal apology.

Why can’t the Australian embassy take, at the very least, a moral stance on such behavior? Is there any moral principle that the Australian embassy will stand up for regardless of whose feathers might be ruffled by taking such a stance? In the event of my being ‘forcibly removed’, will the Australian embassy insist that evidence be presented to it regarding my guilt of whatever crimes might be conjured up by the police? Or will the Australian embassy sit on its hands, declare that it cannot intervene in the affairs of a sovereign nation and allow the deeply flawed Cambodian judiciary to arrive at a ‘legal’ outcome regardless of the evidence or lack thereof?

The publicity surrounding a defamation case in Australia would throw onto Citippointe precisely the sort of spotlight that the church does not want – preferring, as it does, to cloak its activities in secrets and lies. Questions would be asked along the lines of those I have been asking for close to five years and which are to be found, in their abundance, on my blog - questions that Citipointe simply refuses to answer.

It is clear that no-one in Cambodia is going to request of Citipointe that the church answer such questions – not the Minister of Social Affairs (who, like yourself, does not bother to acknowledge receipt of letters), not the Christian umbrella organization of which Citipointe is a member (Chab Dai), not Cambodia’s prominent Human Rights organization (LICADHO) and, of course, not the Australian Embassy – whose stance was made clear in it’s remaining silent as its neighbours had their community destroyed. Australian NGOs can behave pretty much as they like and our Embassy will not even ask questions such as: “Is your NGO registered in Cambodia and are you operating outside of Cambodian law.”

A court case in Australia would lead to questions of the kind I ask being publicly aired; to Citipointe being forced to be transparent and accountable for its actions; to provide the court (and hence my defense team) with copies of the legal agreements the church claims to have with the Cambodian Ministries of Foreign and Social Affairs; with the agreements the church claims to have entered into with Chab Dai and LICADHO giving it the right to deny parents and children in the care of the She Rescue Home the right to maintain meaningful contact with each other.

Scrutiny of this kind is the last thing Citipointe wants. If the church were to sue me in Cambodia, however, the facts, the truth, contracts and agreements would be of secondary (or no) importance – as a wealth of ‘defamation’ cases in that country bear witness. It is possible, in Cambodia, as you would be well aware, to be found guilty of defamation for simply questioning the wisdom of hanging lights off Angkor Wat so that tourists can visit the temple at night. The Cambodian judiciary’s definition of defamation is very flexible indeed!

Whilst I am happy to provide the Cambodian police with my ‘version’ of the events leading up to and surrounding what I believe to be Citipointe’s illegal removal of Rosa and Chita from their parents care (despite all this information being available on my blog), I am not so keen to find myself in a Cambodian jail on trumped up charges and being reliant on the Australian embassy to defend my right to be provided with evidence of whatever the charges may be against me.

I do not expect that I will receive a response to this or to my previous two letters to you but would be delighted to be surprised.

yours sincerely

James Ricketson

No comments:

Post a Comment