Wednesday, March 27, 2013

for Kate Kennedy @ Hagar


Kate Kennedy
CEO
Hagar Australia
PO Box 67
St Kilda
Victoria 3182                                                                                      

23rd March 2013


Dear Kate

The recent publicity surrounding Tim Mathieson's forthcoming initiative to raise money for Hagar with his 13th April motor cycle ride from Kirribilly House in Sydney to The Lodge in Canberra has aroused my curiosity.

I am a filmmaker working in Cambodia on a documentary entitled CHANTI’S WORLD, for which filming is almost completed. CHANTI’S WORLD is, in part, a record of the life of one young woman growing up on the streets of Phnom Penh over a period of 18 years – from age 9 to age 27. It is also about other poor families I have got to know over the years and the world they live in, including one family living and working, until a few years ago, in the Phnom Penh rubbish dump.

One young woman in CHANTI’S WORLD, whose family I have known for close to a decade, was resident in a Hagar refuge for four years. She has made certain comments and observations about Hagar on film – most particularly in relation to her access to her parents during those four years.

As I am sure you are aware, not everything in Cambodia is as it appears to be. It is not always easy to separate truth from fiction designed, by the speaker, to achieve a particular end.

For both legal and ethical reasons it is imperative that CHANTI’S WORLD be factually accurate  and I would like here to extend an invitation to Hagar to have a representative of the organization appear in my documentary to present Hagar’s thoughts and feelings about modern day ‘slavery’ and the efforts Hagar puts into reintegration of those in the NGO’s care back into their families and communities.

Hagar’s responses to my questions would help me clarify whether what this young woman has told me on film is true or not and for Hagar to present an alternative point of view to the claims she makes.

As I am currently in Cambodia I would appreciate it if you could respond via email as I will not be back in Australia for some time.

best wishes

James Ricketson

No comments:

Post a Comment