Friday, February 22, 2013

Citipointe church threatens to have me 'forcibly removed'


Pastor Brian Mulheran
Executive Pastor
Citipointe Church
322 Wecker Road
Carindale
QLD 4152

22nd Feb 2013

Dear Brian

I will respond to the contents of your letter of 21st Feb in the next day or two. I will publish your own letter to me in its entirety on my blog, along with my response to it. In the meantime, for reasons that will become apparent, it needs to be pointed out that the bulk of your letter is based on the premise that Chanti’s daughters, Rosa and Chita,  are “child victims of human trafficking.”  You know, Brian, that they are not. Leigh Ramsay knows that they are not. Citipointe church knows that they are not. And so does the Ministry of Social Affairs. You attempt to get around this well-established and mutually acknowledged (but highly embarrassing) fact, by writing:

“The government deems both girls as child victims of human trafficking according to the law.”

The government can ‘deem’ all it likes but the fact remains that Rosa and Chita were never victims of human trafficking – other than during the 15 months that Citpointe held the girls against the wishes of their mother Chanti and her often expressed desire that her daughters be returned to her care.  In contravention of Cambodia’s own trafficking laws the church justified its actions using a sham and legally worthless contract that gave Citipointe church no rights at all to be holding the girls. The ‘contract’ contains none of the ‘conditions’ the church led Chanti to believe it contained and is not even countersigned by the church. Only 15 months later did the Ministry of Social Affairs (the same Ministry that deems that Rosa and Chita are victims of human trafficking, regardless of the facts) provide Citipointe with retrospective justification for having essentially stolen Chanti’s daughters.

As you know I was filming with the family at the time that Citipointe made its offer to provide temporary care for Rosa and Chita in mid 2008. I had been filming on and off for all of the girls’ lives and can attest (as does my footage and as do numerous witnesses) that the girls were never victims of human trafficking in any form. No reference was made to human trafficking when Leigh Ramsay, Rebecca Brewer and I had dinner together to discuss the offer being made by Citipointe church to Chanti – the terms of which Citipointe has never adhered to. Nor is there any mention of trafficking in any of the early correspondence between myself and Citpointe when it became clear that Citipointe had no intention of abiding by the promises it made to Chanti and myself. You, Leigh Ramsay and Citipointe church have inserted the ‘human trafficking’ angle to into this argument about reintegration in order to provide yourselves with retrospective justification for holding Rosa and Chita for 15 months against the express wishes of their mother, Chanti, and with nothing other than a sham ‘contract’ to provide the church with the illusion of legality.  As you know, I have a copy of this ‘contract’, have had it translated and sought legal opinion both in Cambodia and Australia regarding it validity. 

There is another reason why Citipointe chooses to push the ‘human trafficking’ angle. It is a great marketing ploy: Citipointe has rescued these two delightful young girls from the ‘human trafficking’ that would have destroyed their young lives! If it weren’t for Citipointe what would have happened to poor unfortunate Rosa and Chita? How could anyone with a conscience, anyone who cares about, who loves children, not want to open their wallets and make a significant financial contribution to a wonderful organization such as Citipointe? That Rosa and Chita are not victims of human trafficking, that they have a mum and a dad and siblings and a home (two homes now) and two extended families are details that interfere with the narrative that Citipointe chooses to present in order to keep those donations rolling in.

The other point I wish to make here relates to the what you write at the top of page 5 of your letter:

“We ask graciously for you to give the government and us a chance at reintegration without your involvement and with your compliance on the terms we have requested. However, for a speedier reintegration of the girls and the family,  if we don’t have that opportunity we will have no option but to use the law against you.” (italics added by myself)

I will deal with the question of reintegration in my next letter but suffice it to say here, Citipointe has done absolutely nothing this past close to five years to facilitate reintegration of Rosa and Chita into their family. Fully half of these girls’ lives has been spent living in an institution whilst Citipointe makes promise after promise to Chanti and then reneges on every one of them – causing her enormous distress. Your reference to ‘speedier reintegration’ is disingenuous – to say the least. There is much more to be written on this topic bot for the time being I  will confine myself to your thinly veiled threat to use the law against me. A very crude form of intimidation, Brian! Use the law against me? Which law?

For the record, Brian, the last time both Leigh Ramsay and I were in Phnom Penh together, in the middle of last year, I told no-one where I was staying other than Leigh. One night I returned to my guesthouse to be informed that the police had come looking for me. They did not say why but did say that they would be returning to speak with me. As I say, only Leigh (and presumably Citipointe church) knew where I was staying. At the recommendation of the woman who runs the guesthouse I moved into a hotel and heard nothing more about it. I mention this incident now just to place it on record. If I get another visit from the police it will be fairly clear who has instigated it.

You write also, “We sincerely do not want to go down a legal path of seeing you forcibly removed from the situation to achieve the object of reintegration as that would be the worst possible outcome.” Yes, this would be the worst possible outcome for Chanti since Citipointe has not done anything this past close to five years to facilitate reintegration and clearly has no intention of ever returning Chanti’s children to her care, regardless of her financial ability to care for her children. With me out of the way (“is it jail you have in mind, Brian?” it will be business as usual – Citipointe providing its cashed-up ‘poverty tourists’ with an opportunity to enrich Rosa and Chita’s lives by washing their hair and all with the blessing of the Ministry of Social Affairs which, with a wave of its magic wand, has deemed both girls to be victims of human trafficking.

Having me arrested (‘forcibly removed’) would be a very short term solution to Citipointe’s problems, Brian, as I am sure the church’s media advisors will tell you. Long term it would be a public relations disaster. Even in Cambodia it would be difficult to convince a court of law that my helping Chanti’s family as I do is a form of human trafficking, as you suggest in your letter. As for how this would run in the media in Australia well, I will leave it to you imagination, Brian. Have me arrested by all means but I suggest that it is a ploy that will backfire on you and the church and result in questions being asked that Citipointe will not want to answer – the very questions I have been asking for years now and which Citipointe has consistently refused to answer.

Rather than threatening to have me arrested (this is Cambodia and I know such things are possible!) the more appropriate response from Citipointe would be to put down in writing, today, just what the church proposes to do by way of facilitating reintegration. This should include a time frame and a set of goals that need to be met by both Chanti and Chhork and by Citipointe. Each and every time the church has entered into a verbal agreement with Chanti it has, once Chanti has been true to her side of the deal, reneged on its promises.

Not only will I publish this letter to you on my blog, I am also sending a copy of it to various media outlets in Australia, along with a copy of your letter.

I will address the contents of your 21st. Feb letter when time permits.

best wishes

James Ricketson

No comments:

Post a Comment