Sunday, February 24, 2013

Citipointe declares Chanti's new home not big enough despite having seen neither the house or a photo of it!


Leigh Ramsay
322 Wecker Road
Carindale
QLD 4152

25th Feb 2013

Dear Leigh

Chanti informed me this morning that Citipointe has decreed that the house I have bought her family in Prey Veng (along with my Christian friend) is not big enough and that the church will not allow Rosa and Chita to live in it.

I had a translator with me but just in case something got lost in translation could you please let me know if Chanti has understood correctly what Citipointe has told her. If she has, this raises two interesting questions: (1) How does Citipointe know whether the house is big enough or not – given that Citipointe has neither seen the house or even a photo of it and (2) Pastor Mulheran has been at pains to tell me that decisions regarding the fate of Rosa and Chita are made by MOSAVY and not by the church. So, it follows that MOSAVY, having seen neither the house nor a photo of it, has decided that it is not big enough for the family. Could you please clarify?

It could be argued that it is none of Citipointe’s business what size Chanti’s new house is. What gives the church the right to interfere in this aspect of any Cambodian family’s life?

Chanti also told me that if and when Citipointe returns Rosa and Chita to hers and her family’s care, the only contribution the church will make to the future of Rosa and Chita and the family is the acquisition of a mobile phone and a bicycle – the full value of both combined being around $140. Has Chanti understood Citipointe correctly? If not, could you please let me know what assistance you intend to provide the family when reintegration has occurred and how far into the future?

Whilst the house in Srey Veng is of the same size as most of its neighbours – with families the size of Chanti’s – I do think it desirable that the house be enlarged to make it comfortable for what will be,once Chanti;s new baby girl is born, a family of none. The quote I have received for the appropriate renovations is $1,500. Given what Citipointe has to say on its website about assisting families I think it would be appropriate for Citipointe to foot this $1,500 bill – especially since the church as done nothing this past close to five years to help the family. If the church declines to make any contribution to the future of this family other than $140 to buy a mobile phone and a bicycle, so be it. My Christian friend and I will foot the bill. Citipointe will be judged, as it should be, by its actions; not by what is written on its website.

I have, this morning, couriered all of the footage I have shot this past few weeks back to Australia – just in case Citipointe goes through with Pastor Mulheran’s thinly veiled threat to have me ‘forcibly removed’.

I do not expect that you, Pastor Mulheran or anyone at Citipoine will make any sort of promise in writing relating to the continued support of Chanti’s family once Rosa and Chita have been returned to its care. I would be deluged to be surprised, however.

Again, let me remind you that one function of my blog is to make sure that future readers of it can read for themselves a fairly comprehensive record of my attempts to work with Citipointe church towards the reintegration of Rosa and Chita into the family. When CHANTI’S WORLD comes out it will be difficult for Citipointe to maintain even a modicum of credibility it the church complains that I have, in my film, misrepresented the church in some way.

best wishes

James Ricketson

No comments:

Post a Comment