Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Citipointe Church in Phnom Penh 2010 # 6



At this point in this blog record of my communication with Citipointe church I am going to leapfrog (for the time being) over the next two years – the highlight of which was Citipointe’s ham-fisted attempt to sue me for defamation or, should I say, threaten to sue me. It was clearly an ambit claim on the part of the church. Citipointe was hoping, by having its lawyers send me an 18 page threatening letter, that I would buckle, stop asking questions and retract comments I had made in public about the church ‘stealing’ the children of poor Cambodian families – ’stealing’ in the sense that the word is used to describe the removal of poor Aboriginal children from the care of their poor parents. When it became apparent that Citipointe would not follow through with its threat, I sent the following to Pastor Halloran:

Pastor Halloran
Citipointe church
322 Wecker Rd
Carindale QLD 4152                                                                                    27th. Sept 2010

Dear Pastor Halloran

Following on from my letter of 12th.August.

It is now two months since the 3rd. July deadline passed. I have not apologized publically and Citipointe has not commenced legal proceedings against me. Hopefully such threats from Citipointe are now a thing of the past and we can get down to the business of finding a way out of the dilemma that the church and C are confronted by: Citipointe wishes to retain complete and total control of C’s children until they are 18 years old and C wants her daughters back living with her.

The rigidity of Citipointe’s position is both distressing to C and causes her to adopt her own rigid position. There is, of course, a middle way – the one that Citipointe presented to both C and myself over two years ago: that C be given regular access to her children and, of course, that R and SM have regular access to their mother, grandmother, friends and community. Is Citipointe prepared to abide by the terms of its original agreement with C? If not, why not?

Several times this past two years C has expressed her wish to me that she be able to go and visit her family in the Provinces. And she has invited me to come with her – a not unreasonable proposition given than I have known C most of her life and have known her children all of their lives. C informs me that Citipointe has refused this request of hers to be able to take R and SM with her to visit their family. If C is speaking truthfully, why has Citipointe refused her request?  What legal or moral argument can the church present for alienating C and her children from their family in the Provinces? I am here requesting permission to accompany C, her children (including R and SM), mother and husband to visit her family.

Whilst on the subject of C’s family, did Citipointe ever acquire from C’s Village Chief permission to remove her children from her care? I remember, when speaking with Leigh Ramsay in Phnom Penh prior to R going to live at the SHE refuge, being told that she was on her way, that same week, to acquire such permission from the Village Chief. It is my understanding that this visit was never made and that the removal of C’s children does not have the blessing of C’s Village Chief, as it ought to in accordance with Cambodian custom and law. Please correct me if this is wrong.

One last matter that I would like to raise with you. Using the figures provided on the SHE website and with some understanding of the cost of living in Phnom Penh I estimate that it costs roughly $500 a month to keep one girl in the SHE Refuge. I would like to be as accurate as I possibly can be in quoting this figure and so would appreciate if you could let me know if I am roughly correct or way off beam – in ether direction?

Your lawyers have stated in the past that Citipointe is under no obligation to answer any questions at all regarding its activities in Cambodia. Fair enough, but please don’t kick up a fuss if I quote this $500 figure, adding that Citipointe refused to comment on whether the figure was correct or not.

I have had a brief meeting with Mark Scott, General Manager, ABC and a longer one with Kim Dalton, Head of ABC TV to discuss (my documentary). The net result of these meetings is that the ABC will not, under any circumstances, provide financial support for C’S WORLD or broadcast the film. One of the reasons given to me is that I cannot tell a balanced story if Citipointe refuses to answer any questions and hence provide its own point of view as to what has transpired this past two years with R, SM, C and the SHE refuge. The position adopted by the ABC provides Citipointe with a cogent reason to maintain its silence, as I imagine it will in relation to this letter. On the other hand, Citipointe may now realize that the church cannot prevent me from completing my film and see the advantages (if only from a public relations point of view) in acknowledging C and her children’s right to maintain regular contact with each other. This story (insofar as Citipointe is concerned) can have a happy ending but the ball is well and truly in Citipointe’s court.

If you wish to discuss this and the contents of my previous letters I would quite happily come to Brisbane to do so.

cheers

James Ricketson

Pator Halloran did not respond to this letter. The questions contained in it remain unanswered to this day. Citippinte church operates under a cloak of secrecy and for good reason. The church has much that it would prefer to remain hidden from the view not only of its own parishioners but from those who believe that in giving money to Citipointe they are assisting in the rescue of young girls from the sex trade when in fact they are financing the removal of girls from the care of their poor parents.

The next section of this blog will involved leaping over another two years to July 2012. It will comprise the nine letter I wrote in the past two weeks to Leigh Ramsay in an attempt to get answers to questions and in hopes of finding a way of working with the Citipointe to have R and SM returned to the care of their mother C and the rest of their family. These letters will speak for themselves.

…to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment