Thursday, August 2, 2012

Citipointe Church in Phnom Penh 2012 # 9




Leigh Ramsay
Citipointe church
322 Wecker Rd
Carindale QLD 4152                                                                                    27th  July 2012

Dear Leigh

Following on from my letters of 22nd, 24th and 26th July.

I have heard nothing from Citipointe regarding the meeting that you suggested I have with a representative of the church to discuss my letters of 22nd and 24th July. It is now Friday afternoon, Sydney time, and no time for a meeting has been arranged. C has just informed me that two representatives of Citipointe will visit her down by the river today to talk with her about R and SM. It is difficult not to draw the conclusion that Citipointe has decided not to meet with me but to talk only with C.

As you have known for the past four years, I wear two hats in relation to C. On the one hand I am a filmmaker documenting her life, as I have been doing for 16 years now. The most significant sequence of events in C’s life this past four years has been the removal of R and SM from her care. How this came about is a matter of record, as are C’s various attempts, with my assistance, to  have her daughters returned to her care. As a documentary filmmaker it is not my job, in theory at least, to interfere with what takes place in front of my camera. My job is simply to record what takes place and allow members of the audience to make up their own minds regarding what they see and hear onscreen.

I am not simply a documentary filmmaker, however. I am also C’s friend, someone whom she calls ‘Papa’ and someone who has tried in a variety of ways over the years to help C and her family as best I could given the constraints of my own financial circumstances. It is in wearing this hat that I have sought to find a way whereby C has appropriate access to her daughters whilst at the same time Citipointe continues to make a major contribution to feeding, schooling and providing medical and dental care to R and SM. In the wearing of my second hat I have clearly failed. C’s access to her daughters is now close to zero, which has led to C threatening to ‘kidnap’ her own daughters and to Citipointe using this threat as a reason not to provide her with appropriate access to R and SM. This in turn has led C and CH (R and SM’s step-father) to obtain from their Village Chief a formal letter of request to Citipointe that R and SM be returned to her care.

I find it impossible to think of a reason why Citipointe should not accede to this request of C and CH’s unless Citipointe believes that it can argue that R and SM are in some way at risk if they are returned to their mother’s care. I have asked Citipointe repeatedly over the years if the church has any evidence at all that C poses a risk to her daughters. Citipointe has refused to answer the question. It is clear from correspondence that occurred 3-4 years ago, however, that there has never been any suggestion that R and SM were being rescued from anything other than extreme poverty. It is also clear from the events of the past 4 years that whilst the church was prepared to help R and SM it had no intention of providing any assistance at all to the rest of the family. I find it difficult, wearing both my filmmaker’s and ‘Papa’ hats, to reconcile this fact with what I understand to be the essence of Christianity. Surely Citipointe’s role should have been, at the outset, to help the entire family and not just selected members of it; to work as fast as possible towards the re-integration of R and SM into their family as Citipointe claims on its website is its goal. I see no evidence that Citipointe has done anything to facilitate such re-integration. I see no evidence that Citipointe has cared one way or another about the welfare of the rest of C’s family. There have been times this past 4 years when the rest of the family was living on the street or in a hovel with no food to eat. And I mean no food at all. On my arrival in Phnom Penh a little over a week ago I noticed, very quickly, that C had a tumour growing on her wrist. I mentioned this and showed the tumour to the representative of the church I met last Saturday and asked her why the church did not pay the $60 required to have it removed. Her answer to this and other questions was, “We can’t help everybody.” This is fair enough but in accordance with Christianity as I understand it you do not help two children from one family and let the rest of the family go without food or medical attention. I have paid to have the tumour removed. This has not only removed the threat the tumour may have played in C’s health but it has also brought her some peace of mind. Your representatives, when they meet her today, will be able to confirm from the large stitched wound on her wrist that this operation occurred.

That you have decided to cut me out of any discussion about the future of R and SM whilst I am in Phnom Penh speaks for itself. However, I think you will find  that the church representatives who meet with C today will not find her amenable to being made promises that she knows from experience will not be kept or from placing her thumb print on any document that she can neither read nor write. She will, however, present your representatives with a signed document, witnessed by her Village Chief. How Citipointe church deals with, responds to, this document is the church’s own business. Wearing my filmmaker’s hat I will record Citipointe’s response and allow the audience to make up its own mind as to the appropriateness or otherwise of it. Wearing my ‘Papa’ hat I remain hopeful that Citipointe will enter into a new ‘contract’ with C that acknowledges her right, as the mother to R and SM, to have regular contact with her daughters and to be able to go with the rest of the family to visit relatives in the provinces. It is not appropriate that R and SM be cut off from their extended family, their community or their Buddhist faith.

There has been a religious festival in Cambodia this past few days. I accompanied C and the rest of her family to a Wat to pray, to light candles and incense, to be blessed by monks and to celebrate. R and SM were not with the family to share this important event in the Cambodian religious calendar – an event that is also important in terms of family and community. Why were R and SM not allowed to accompany the rest of their family to the Wat? And why was it, when R and SM were allowed to spend weekends with their family that Citipointe insisted that they be picked up on Sunday morning in time for church? These girls are part of a Buddhist family. What right does Citipointe have to be forcing these girls to adopt a different faith to that of the rest of their family?

best wishes

James Ricketson

No comments:

Post a Comment